In the following list, the date after the name of each building indicates the year of construction.
Alumni Memorial Building (1925). This edifice of Gothic design, housing the Visitor Center, Admissions and other administrative offices, and those of the Alumni Association, represents a memorial to the 1,921 Lehigh alumni who served in World War I and the 46 who died. The building was designed by Theodore G. Visscher, Class of 1899, and James Lindsey Burley, Class of 1894.
E. W. Fairchild-Martindale Library and Computing Center (1985). The high-technology building houses science and engineering holdings, The Media Center, library and technology services staff, and a computer center. Construction was made possible by a major gift from Harry T. Martindale, a 1927 Lehigh graduate, and his wife, Elizabeth, daughter of the late Edmund W. Fairchild, founder of a business publications and communications empire. A recent addition located on the main level, the E.W.F.M. Lounge offers a new dining option.
Linderman Library (1877). The rotunda, designed by Addison Hutton, was built as a gift to the university by founder Asa Packer as a memorial to his daughter, Lucy Packer Linderman. The rotunda is surrounded except on the south by a major addition constructed in 1929. The building houses more than 20,000 rare books and volumes related to the humanities and social science. The Bayer Galleria of Rare Books, made possible by a gift from Curtis F. Bayer ‘35, was dedicated in 1985. The building reopened in the spring of 2007 as the intellectual and humanities hub of the university after being closed for renovations for nearly two years. Major new features include more seminar and group study rooms, wireless Internet access throughout, central air conditioning, new furniture and finishes, and a cafe.
Packer Memorial Church (1887). The church was the gift of Mary Packer Cummings in memory of her father, founder Asa Packer. It was dedicated on Founder’s Day, October 13, 1887. The building was designed by Addison Hutton; the building is on the National Register of Historic Places.
President’s House (1868). This 21-room residence, designed by Edward Potter, is the home of university presidents and is often used for receptions on special university occasions.
Packer Hall, The University Center (1868). When construction of the building began in 1865, a railroad was built to transport stone to the site. The building, designed originally by Potter, was extensively renovated and enlarged in 1958.
The building was constructed at the expense of the founder, who vetoed a plan to erect it of brick. “It will be built of stone,” Asa Packer responded.
Today the building houses student and faculty dining facilities, a food court, deans’ offices, student activities offices, the Women’s Networking Center, The Center for Academic Success, a bank office, and conference facilities.