A student must be registered in the semester in which the degree is conferred. If a student is not registered for a course, he/she must register for maintenance of candidacy. Candidates for September degrees do not need to be enrolled the summer preceding the degree if they were enrolled both fall and spring of the previous academic year.
Application for Degree
Candidates for graduation on University Day in May must file with the registrar on or before February 1 a written notice of candidacy for the degree; candidates for graduation in September file a notice of candidacy on or before July 1; candidates for graduation in January file a notice of candidacy on or before October 1.
Failure to file such notice by such dates mentioned debars the candidate from receiving the degree at the ensuing graduation exercises. If a petition for late filing is granted, but before deadline to complete all requirements, a fee is assessed.
Graduate students must receive clearance from the university prior to the awarding of the degree. The following obligations must be satisfied:
- Students must complete all coursework, including any incomplete grades they may have received.
- Theses must be cleared by the registrar’s office.
- Dissertations must be cleared by the appropriate dean’s office.
- All financial obligations must be cleared with the bursar. Tuition fees, bookstore charges, library fines, and motor or vehicle fines must be paid before graduation.
- All library books on loan must be returned.
- Students must turn in their student identification cards at the I.D. card office.
The interdepartmental clearance sheet must be completed. This form requires the signature of the student’s department chairperson (except for the College of Education), before it is submitted to the registrar at least three days prior to graduation.