Mission, Vision and Values
Lehigh's Mission statement
To advance learning through the integration of teaching, research, and service to others. (adopted 1992)
Lehigh's Vision Statement
Lehigh University prepares graduates to engage with the world and lead lives of meaning. We commit to:
- National and international research prominence
- Learning experiences grounded in fundamental, transferable skills across all disciplines and in real world challenges
- Strategic risk-taking in the presence of opportunity and adversity
- Social, environmental and economic sustainability
- Meaningful connection and partnership with alumni, supporters and citizens around the globe
- A robust return on the investment in a Lehigh education
- A diverse, inclusive and financially accessible environment
Lehigh's Core Values
Essential and enduring tenets -- a small set of timeless guiding principles that require no external justification; they have intrinsic value and importance.
- Integrity and honesty
- Equitable community
- Academic freedom
- Intellectual curiosity
- Commitment to excellence
The Principles of our Equitable Community
Lehigh University is first and foremost an educational institution, committed to developing the future leaders of our changing global society. Every member of our community has a personal responsibility to acknowledge and practice the following basic principles:
- We affirm the inherent dignity in all of us, and we maintain an inclusive and equitable community.
- We recognize and celebrate the richness contributed to our lives by our diverse community.
- We promote mutual understanding among the members of our community.
- We confront and reject discrimination in all its forms, including that based on age, color, disability, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political beliefs, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, socio-economics, veteran status, or any differences that have been excuses for misunderstanding, dissension, or hatred.
- We affirm academic freedom within our community and uphold our commitment to the highest standards of respect, civility, courtesy, and sensitivity toward every individual.
- We recognize each person’s right to think and speak as dictated by personal belief and to respectfully disagree with or counter another’s point of view.
- We promote open expression of our individuality and our differences within the bounds of University policies.
- We acknowledge each person’s obligation to the community of which we have chosen to be a part.
- We take pride in building and maintaining a culture that is founded on these principles of unity and respect.
Lehigh on the Web
Parents & family: