In the following list, the first date after the name of each building indicates the year of construction. The second date indicates the year of a major addition.
Brodhead House (1979). This structure is the university’s first high-rise residential facility. The six-story building includes 4-person suites on the five upper floors, with a dining facility and lobby on the entrance level. The building is named in memory of Albert Brodhead, a member of the Class of 1888 who died in 1933, leaving 51 Bethlehem properties to his alma mater.
Farrington Square (2002). In August of 2002, Lehigh opened a 250-bed residential complex that includes the campus bookstore, the university post office, and several retail stores. Air-conditioned, two-, three-, and four-bedroom apartments are complete with full kitchen, private bathroom and fully furnished living room/dining room areas. Attached to the complex is a parking garage for 350 cars for residents’ convenience.
Dravo House (1948). This 5-story stone edifice is the university’s largest residential facility. It bears the name of two brothers, Ralph M. Dravo, Class of 1889, and Francis F. Dravo, Class of 1887, who founded the Dravo Corp., a Pittsburgh-based international construction company. Both men served as university trustees.
Drinker House (1940). This stone building honors the memory of Henry S. Drinker, Class of 1871, university president from 1905 to 1920.
McClintic-Marshall House (1957). This U-shaped stone structure was built in memory of Howard H. McClintic and Charles D. Marshall, both Class of 1888, who founded the McClintic-Marshall Construction Co. The firm was the world’s largest independent steel fabricating firm before its acquisition by Bethlehem Steel Corp. in 1931. It built locks for the Panama Canal and constructed the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco Bay.
Packer House The Graduate Student Center and Office of Graduate Life moved here in the summer of 2009, offering multipurpose social programming and meeting space as well as residential space for graduate students.
Richards House (1938). The building honors the memory of Charles Russ Richards, president of the university from 1922 to 1935. The building is constructed of stone in modified Gothic design.
Sayre Park Village (1998). This residential complex is comprised of three apartment buildings and houses students in three- and four-person apartments. Included is a fourth multipurpose community building and outdoor recreation facilities.
Taylor House (1907, 1984). The U-shaped building is one of the earliest concrete structures ever built. It was the gift of industrialist Andrew Carnegie in honor of his friend and associate, university trustee Charles L. Taylor, Class of 1876. The interior of the building was reconstructed and the exterior refinished prior to the facility becoming Lehigh’s first residential college in 1984.
Trembley Park (1975). This seven-building undergraduate apartment complex is named in memory of Francis J. Trembley, Lehigh professor and pioneer ecologist.
Umoja House. The Umoja House was established in 1989 to enhance the campus atmosphere for underrepresented students at Lehigh. The U House offers a safe and comfortable environment for any student who values multiculturalism.
Warren Square Complex. This cluster of four residence halls is located on Warren Square and Summit Street. They are upperclass facilities and some are used as special-interest houses.
Centennial I Complex (1965)
Congdon House. Located at the east end of the Centennial I complex. Dr. Wray H. Congdon served as dean of students, dean of the graduate school, and special assistant to the president.
Emery House. It is named for Dr. Natt M. Emery, who was vice president and controller.
Leavitt House. The Rev. Dr. John McD. Leavitt was the second president, 1875 to 1879.
McConn House. C. Maxwell McConn was dean of the university from 1923 to 1938.
Smiley House. Dr. E. Kenneth Smiley served as vice president from 1945 to 1964.
Thornburg House. Dr. Charles G. Thornburg was professor and head of the Department of Mathematics, 1895 to 1923
Centennial II complex (1970)
Beardslee House. Dr. Claude G. Beardslee was chaplain from 1931 to 1947.
Carothers House. Dr. Neil Carothers was dean of business.
Palmer House. Dr. Philip M. Palmer was dean of the arts.
Stevens House. The Rt. Rev. William Bacon Stevens, of Philadelphia, was Protestant Episcopal bishop of the Diocese of Pennsylvania and first president of the university board of trustees. He was the principal architect of the university’s original academic plan.
Stoughton House. Dr. Bradley Stoughton was dean of the engineering college, 1936 to 1939.
Williams House. Dr. Clement C. Williams was president of the university, 1935 to 1944.
Saucon Village Apartments (1974)
The five-building garden apartment complex includes housing for married, graduate, and undergraduate students.
Diamond. Dr. Herbert M. Diamond, professor emeritus of economics, retired in 1964.
Gipson. Dr. Lawrence Henry Gipson, research professor of history, bequeathed his estate to the university to establish the Lawrence Henry Gipson Institute for Eighteenth-Century Studies. Dr. Gipson wrote a monumental 15-volume history, The British Empire before the American Revolution . He won the Pulitzer Prize for volume 10, The Triumphant Empire: Thunderclouds Gather in the West, 1763-1766.
Hartman. Dr. James R. Hartman was chairman of the department of mechanical engineering and mechanics.
More. Dr. Robert P. More ‘10, dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, who also taught German for forty years, bequeathed to the university his $746,000 estate, amassed after investing $3,000 in IBM stock. The university child care center is located in this building.
Severs. Dr. J. Burke Severs, of Bethlehem, is distinguished professor emeritus of English. He is a Chaucerian scholar.
Fraternities and Sororities
The university has a strong fraternity tradition, dating back to 1872. Since the admission of undergraduate women in 1971, several sororities have come into being. Some 450 men live in 16 fraternities.
All of the fraternities have houses located on Asa Packer campus. All are chapters of national fraternities.
An alphabetical listing follows. The date of the founding of the chapter is given in the first column. The second column lists the date the chapter occupied its present house; any additional date indicates the most recent addition or major renovation.
|Fraternity||Chapter Founded||Present House Occupied||Recent Addition or Renovation|
|Alpha Tau Omega||1882|
|Phi Delta Theta||1879||2015|
|Phi Kappa Theta||1919|
|Phi Sigma Kappa||1901||1956||1970|
|Pi Kappa Alpha||1929|
|Sigma Phi Epsilon||1907||1963|
There are nine sororities and all are nationally affiliated. Over 380 women live in sororities.
The sororities are listed with year of establishment at Lehigh in the first column and year of moving into their present house in the second column.
|Sorority||Establishment at Lehigh||Present House Occupied|
|Alpha Chi Omega||1988||2007|
|Alpha Gamma Delta||1975||2000|
|Alpha Omicron Pi||1983||2004|
|Gamma Phi Beta||1975||1998|
|Kappa Alpha Theta||1984||2006|
|Pi Beta Phi||1997||2008|
|Zeta Tau Alpha||2010||2011|