2016-17 Catalog

Athletic and Convocational Facilities

In the following list, the first date after the name of each building indicates the year of construction. The second date indicates the year of a major addition.

Taylor Gymnasium (1904 and 1913). This structure was the gift of Charles L. Taylor, Class of 1876, who was a friend and business associate of steel magnate Andrew Carnegie. There are two indoor swimming pools, two basketball courts, the Welch Fitness Center, men’s and women’s locker rooms, two racquetball and two squash courts, a multipurpose dance/aerobics room, a dance studio, a dance/spin studio, a climbing wall, a Sports Medicine Complex, and the Penske Hall of Fame. The athletic department offices are also housed in the Warren (Pete) Musser wing.

Grace Hall (1940 and 2013). The building is named for its donor, Eugene G. Grace, Class of 1899, who was chairman of Bethlehem Steel Corp. and president of the university’s board of trustees, 1924 to 1956. Grace Hall serves as the headquarters and offices for Lehigh intramural and club sports. The lower level houses the Leeman-Turner Arena, and the upper level houses the recently renovated  Caruso Wrestling Complex.

Sayre Field (1961). Located atop South Mountain, the field is used for intramural sports.

Cundey Varsity House (1963; expanded in 2002 & 2015). The building, expanded and renovated in 2002, houses a modern weight training facility, sports medicine and equipment areas, team meeting and reception areas, and locker rooms for several varsity teams. The Varsity House is located on the Murray H. Goodman Campus adjacent to the John C. Whitehead Football Practice Facility. The 2015 expansion of the west side of the building will accommodate Lehigh's growing athletic programs to better serve the student-athletes.

Philip Rauch Field House (1976). Philip Rauch ‘33, L.L.D. ‘79, made a gift toward the facility. The building has 62,000 square feet of uninterrupted floor space, the equivalent of two football fields, for a variety of athletic and non-athletic activities. It has a six-lane, one-eighth-mile flat track.

Stabler Athletic & Convocation Center (1979). This arena provides seating for 6,000 people for concerts, spectator sports, including Lehigh’s basketball teams, and other events. University trustee Donald B. Stabler ‘30 made a major financial contribution toward the facility.

Murray H. Goodman Stadium (1988). Joanie and Murray Goodman ‘48, L.L.D. ‘88, were the principal benefactors. On October 1, 1988, Lehigh opened the gates to Murray H. Goodman Stadium, located on the Goodman Campus. Capacity is 16,000, and the stadium features a three-tiered press box and limited chair back seating, with picturesque South Mountain in the background.

Lewis Tennis Facility (1994). An anonymous donor made possible the construction of four indoor tennis courts for recreational use as well as team practice, and is named for former Lehigh President W. Deming Lewis. The building also includes men’s and women’s locker room facilities.

Ulrich Sports Complex (1999; expanded in 2009 & 2015). Lehigh chairman of the board of trustees, Ronald J. Ulrich ‘66, provided the principal funding for the construction of a multi-field game complex used for men’s and women’s soccer, men’s and women’s lacrosse, and field hockey. The complex features a natural grass and two artificial surface fields: Frank Banko Field and Ronald J. Ulrich Field. The complex has permanent seating, press boxes, and lighting for night contests. A group of students enrolled in the University’s distinctive ILE (Integrated Learning Experience) program collaborated in the design of the original complex, illustrating the strong partnership between athletics and academics at Lehigh. The new Gould Shenfeld Half-Time building (2015) is a place for the competing teams to meet at halftime as well as pre and post game.

Mulvihill Golf Learning Center (2007). A USGA Qualified Training Facility with a driving range with five target greens, large practice green, and chipping green with three sand bunkers. The indoor facility houses a 672 square foot practice green and three indoor driving range bay providing year round training for the Men's and Women's Golf programs.

Leadership Field, New Softball Field Complex (2015). Located near the Goodman campus entrance, the complex includes a new playing field, video platforms, modern stands, enhanced dugouts, bullpens, batting cages, and a press box.

Legacy Field,  Baseball Field Complex (2015). This newly renovated baseball includes larger and enhanced dugouts, a synthetic infield and a natural grass outfield, bullpens and batting cages, modern stands, a press box, and a cable and netting system.